Our journey towards net-zero
Reaching net-zero in 2040
We use science-based emission reduction targets to track and cut our emissions. We strive to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from our own operations by 75% (Scope 1 and 2) and 20% from our supply chain (Scope 3) by 2027, compared to 2019.
We are proud to state that we have reached said Scope 1 and 2 emission reduction targets ahead of time. But we did not stop there in April 2023, we were the first in our industry to receive verified approval to our net-zero amibtion from Science Based Targets initiative.
Net-zero means cutting greenhouse gas emissions to as close to zero as possible across value chains (Scope 1,2 and 3) with the remaining emissions removed from the atmosphere.
With our actions and commitments, we not only want to set the ambition level high, but also to encourage others to act.
Transitioning to renewable energy sources
As the world’s energy choices evolve, Uponor seeks to be a model for the industry by embracing renewable energy sources across our global operations to reduce greenhouse gases. Currently, 98% of our used electricity originates to renewable sources. Besides clean energy sources and lowering energy usage, we operate a network of solar panels to generate electricity for our Nastola, Finland, manufacturing facilities.
Targets by 2027:
- We use only certified green electricity
- We decrease energy intensity by 15%, compared to 2019
Reducing and reusing scrap and waste
The waste from our manufacturing facilities mainly consists of plastic and metal, which we are able to recycle both to a high degree.
As a major step towards a circular value chain, we have established a closed loop for hard-to-recycle waste plastic. A chemical recycling process for PEX enables us to recycle waste back to new PEX products. Currently, we sustainably recycle 83% of our total waste as energy or raw material.
Target by 2027:
- Sustainably recycle 100% of all waste
Ensuring responsible raw materials
Plastic, our major raw material, is emission-intensive and it must be handled accordingly. We acknowledge our responsibility and diligently measure our operations to lower our impact on the environment. We are actively promoting the transition to renewable raw materials and moving towards a more circular approach in manufacturing products and their packaging.
We continue innovating products based on recycled and renewable raw materials, and to influence the decision-makers to best support sustainable choices.
- Increase the use of recycled or renewable plastic in our production
- Continue pioneering to research alternatives for fossil-fuel-based products
Safeguarding water resources
Our goal is to safeguard water resources at every step, from creating a water-resilient value chain to improving our customers’ water management. Our factories are running on extremely high-efficiency level and all are, for example, equipped with closed-loop cooling systems that enable low water usage. In some manufacturing locations, we use secondary water resources for irrigation and, for example, flushing toilets.
Target by 2027:
- Decrease water intensity by 10% compared to 2019
What are greenhouse gas emissions scopes?
- Scope 1 covers a company’s direct emissions from owned or controlled sources (e.g.emissions from energy used in operational facilities)
- Scope 2 includes indirect emissions from the generation of purchased electricity, steam, and consumed heating and cooling
- Scope 3 covers all other indirect emissions that occur along a company’s value chain, like purchased goods and services, transportation and distribution, waste generated in operations, employee commuting, fuel, and energy-related activities, or business travel
UN’s Sustainable Development Goals
We have identified 7 essential Development Goals our actions and value truly contribute to.
Taking care of our employees
Positive societal impact
We want to give back to the society and the communities we operate in through various global and local initiatives and projects.
Doing business the right way
We ensure transparency on ethical business culture at Uponor and advocate fair and collaboration-based relationships.